Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pin-Interest #2

Ready for another installment of Pin-Interest? Well, here we go! I have been ogling all the organization pins I've seen out there lately. Especially since I have zero organization skills myself. But I DO have crafting skills. So I thought I'd give it a try. I decided to replicate a measuring tool organizer (found here) and have provided you directions to make one as well. Let me tell you- it was easy AND only cost me $5.77.  What?! YES!



Follow the instructions below to make your own...


1. You will need to purchase wood and hooks. I went to Lowe's and bought a 1/2 x 2 x 36 inch piece of  pine. Did you know that the kind people of Lowe's will make 2 free cuts for you? Just head to the back of the lumber section (let the sound of electric machinery lead you) and ask the nice man to cut your wood into two 12 inch pieces. I also bought a box of 7/8 inch cup hooks.


2. Paint your wood pieces with standard acrylic paint. Then measure and place markings on your wood to indicate where each hook should be.


3. For this next step I painted the measurement words on using a white, sharpie paint pen and then outlined the words with a thin black sharpie. It you don't want all the hassle, buy number/letter stickers to use instead. I varnished my wood with a cheap acrylic glaze after I added the letters to give the piece a finished look. 


4. Screw in your hooks. If you have a drill I suggest using it! But, I  didn't so I just used my fingers and tried to put the hooks in as straight as possible!


Since I live in an apartment I used 3M removable stickies to hang the racks on the inside of my cabinet.


And there you have it! A finished rack for hanging your measuring tools!


3 comments:

  1. Very nice. I like this idea! Was it difficult to fit it so you can close the door? I just have a feeling I would get mine all purty lookin' and then close the door with something stuck in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. That's EXACTLY what happened! Thank goodness I didn't put them up any more permanently than I did! A little rearranging and they work well now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I really really love this!! I wish I had wall space in my kitchen for this to work. We literally have zero wall space...all cabinets. I sadly even had to give up my beautiful spice rack.

    ReplyDelete